A thorough understanding of how herbicides work assists agronomists and growers to maximise herbicide performance. When confronted with a range of weed problems and environmental conditions, the challenge is to optimise the results in the field.
Knowing what weeds will be controlled from a herbicide application is the easy bit – it’s on the label.
More challenging questions include:
- Why do herbicides perform or fail in some situations?
- Critical comments on the label. Why do they exist and how were they developed?
- How do adjuvants and water conditioning agents work? What should be used, when and why?
- How does resistance affect different herbicides? What strategies can be used as resistance emerges?
- How do residual herbicides work and what influences their breakdown?
ICAN is delivering a series of GRDC supported workshops for agronomists on the science underpinning how herbicides work and its application to field practice. Participants will leave with a better understanding of the key factors dictating herbicide performance and what can be done in the paddock to ensure weed control is maximised.
Workshops are customised for each location to focus on regionally important herbicides and management issues under the following structure.
- How herbicides work – disruption of key enzyme systems within the plant
- Leaf entry of post-emergent herbicides. Including the influence of environmental conditions and the importance of adjuvants
- Post-emergent herbicide translocation and metabolism
- Herbicide resistance and resistance mechanisms
- Maximising performance of the key post-emergent modes of action (MOA's)
- Pre-emergents –
- Stubble, volatilisation, photodegradation and incorporation
- Relationship with soil type and soil moisture
- Degradation, plantbacks and crop safety
- Impacts of tillage and planter type
- Maximising performance of key pre-emergent herbicides
These small group workshops run for 1.5-days. Numbers are limited to ensure active participation and discussion. Previous workshops have ‘sold-out’, so early registration is essential.
While the workshop content is targeted to experienced agronomists, interested growers are welcome. Cost is $165 ($150 + GST) per workshop.
Workshop locations for 2020
Workshops start at 8:45am for a 9am start on Day 1 and finish before 1pm on day 2.
- Geraldton, WA - Mon 20 & Tue 21 January
Geraldton Multipurpose Centre, Geraldton Foreshore, 250 Marine Terrace, Geraldton, WA 6530
- Northam, WA - Wed 22 & Thu 23 January
Bridgeley Community Centre, 91-93 Wellington St, Northam, WA 6401
- Griffith, NSW - Tue 4 & Wed 5 February
Griffith Exies Club, 6-12 Jondaryan Ave, Griffith, NSW 2680
- Moama, NSW - Thu 6 & Fri 7 February
Rich River Golf Club, Twenty-Four Lane, Moama, NSW 2731
- Narrogin, WA - Tue 11 & Wed 12 February
Narrogin Club, 53 Fortune St, Narrogin, WA 6312
- Perth, WA - Thu 13 & Fri 14 February
Ingot Hotel Perth, 285 Great Eastern Highway, Belmont, WA 6104
- Launceston, Tas - Thu 27 & Fri 28 February
Launceston Conference Centre, 50 Glen Dhu St, South Launceston, TAS 7249
- Emerald, Qld - Tue 17 & Wed 18 March
Mayfair Ridge Tavern, 7-11 Mayfair Ridge Dr, Emerald, QLD 4720
- Kadina, SA - Tue 24 & Wed 25 March
Copper Coast Sports & Leisure Centre, 1 Doswell Terrace, Kadina, SA 5554
- Adelaide, SA - Thu 26 & Fri 27 March
Rydges Adelaide, 1 South Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000
- Parkes, NSW - Tue 31 March & Wed 1 April
Parkes Services Club, 9-17 Short St, Parkes, NSW 2870
- Wagga Wagga, NSW - Thu 2 & Fri 3 April
Wagga Wagga RSL, Cnr Kincaid & Dobbs St, Wagga Wagga NSW 2650
- Horsham, Vic - Tue 21 & Wed 22 April
Horsham RSL, 36 McLachlan St, Horsham, VIC 3400
- Hamilton, Vic - Thu 23 & Fri 24 April
Agriculture Victoria, 915 Mt Napier Rd, Hamilton, VIC 3300
Enquiries or to register interest in attending a workshop near you, please contact ICAN: Ph: 02 9482 4930 Fx: 02 9482 4931 or email@example.com, fill in the on-line registration form
Online registration is available below. If you would like to register multiple people from the same organisation, please contact us for a group booking.